Two Rough Days

The GI doctor’s office was suppose to call me Tuesday or Wednesday to let me know about the sweat test and ultrasound. When they didn’t call me I called them at 8:00 am Thursday. The receptionist told me they were waiting till next week to schedule the test and then they’d be a few weeks out. I was not happy. I told the lady he is a newborn, a preemie and losing weight. I asked to speak with the nurse and she told me the nurse wasn’t there yet but she could have her call me. I asked when that would be and she said probably that afternoon. We hung up and I immediately called my pediatrician who asked how soon we could be there and told me to bring him straight in.

We got to Dr. Mays office about 9 am. They weighted him and he had lost more weight. He was down to 10 lbs 9 oz making 5.5 oz he lost in 6 days. She was examined, his formula changed and sent to lab. They checked his white count, his blood sugar and iron. Everything was normal. They scheduled the ultrasound and sweat test. We have to wait till April 30th for the sweat test but the ultrasound was done immediately. The test I was told by one office it would be a few weeks had it scheduled and completely the same day.

Bradley was very fussy during his ultrasound. That evening when the doctor called me she said it was a limited ultrasound but they did not find anything abnormal. Depending on how everything goes we may have to go back for another ultrasound with the radiologist there instead of just the tech.

Friday morning we went back to the doctor and he had gained 1/2 oz. The doctor changed his medicine, sent us to Children’s for blood work to check the function of his organs and gave me some more formula in case I felt like the other formula wasn’t making a difference. That afternoon the results of his blood work came back normal.

At 4 pm someone from the GI doctor’s office finally called me. She said she had a message that I wanted to know about the test being scheduled. I quickly informed her when they refused to help the day before I called the pediatrician who had the test scheduled and the ultrasound had already been done. After about 20 minutes of telling her how they messed up and that I didn’t need anything from them, she apologized and asked if there was anything they could do and i said at this point the only thing you can do is have Dr. King call Dr. Mays. Why call at 4 pm on a Friday when you know the doctor will be gone the entire following week???

Later Friday afternoon Dr. Mays called me to say Dr. King called her and they have come up with a game plan. We go back to the doctor on Monday and if he has not improved we are going to do some more blood work. I didn’t ask what this blood work checks but I’ll worry about that if he has to have it done. She had checked with her med group about what it may be and one doctor recommended having his heart looked at again. We have a follow up appointment with the heart doctor on May 7th but we may have to see him sooner. Another thing was to do a feeding study.

Dr. Mays has only not seen the results of one test done when he was in the NICU and it was the test the genetics doctor did. I called them Friday to see if there was anything they could tell me that may be helpful but the doctor wasn’t in. I explained my situation to the receptionist who said she will have him look at the chart Monday when he gets back in and call Dr. Mays.

Advertisements

Let me know what you think!!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s